Saturday, November 24, 2007

darn! i wish i was your wooman!

We leave today for homestay! So this may be my last post for a month or so, I’m not sure about internet access in the villages. I’m so excited to go out and live in the actual Lesotho instead of this compoundy thing we’ve been confined to. I’m also really nervous, though. I hope my sesotho skillz will be enough.

So, true to form, I managed to totally and completely embarrass myself in front of the ambassador at thanksgiving. I may have made some off-color (vulgar?) remarks without realizing he was directly on the other side of this semi-tall lamp. Hopefully he will just forget that anything was ever said… other than that, thanksgiving rocked. There were 6 turkeys and tons of other food and before dinner we played red rover and freeze tag (because we’re all mentally 6 years old) then ate bunches and I forgot my bathing suit because I suck balls so I didn’t get to swim. Everyone there was really nice, and there were a handful of the cutest kids I’ve ever seen. Then after we got back to the compound we had a dance party, and played invisible double dutch, and acted like retards.

Oh! And I forgot to mention, during my volunteer visit, when we went to see the high school, the kids were asking my volunteer about my “rash” (freckles). And then they kept asking me to put my jacket on because they didn’t want to look at my rash. Motherfuckers. I hope that all my students don’t freak out about it. One of the girls had some freckles on her nose though, and I was like, no these spots are from the sun, they’re just like yours! And she covers her face real fast and is like gasp-NO!.

SO, Christmas is kind of coming up, and it takes 4-6 weeks to get a box here, and if I was someone who loved me, I would use what is called the “international flat rate box” it can be as heavy as you want, I think the regular size is 37$ or something. That’s mostly directed towards my momma for future package dealings.


Anyway, for Christmas I want my mommy to put $65 in my checking so I can buy a cell phone. Other than that I only want little things that may or may not fit in a flat envelope such as: an SD memory card for my camera (apparently mine wandered away, I have no memory card, I must’ve taken in out a long time ago for unknown reasons), fishies, starburst, peach-green tea, powdered ranch sauce mix, nerds, something else exciting… MOSTLY though I really really really really really want pictures, drawings, poems, short stories, letters, comics, notes of love and missage, from you guys. If you send me a Christmas letter I will love you forevers. Once I get my roundavel (round- hovel!) I will need to decorate it. I

In sesotho, “rata” means to like, “ruta” means to teach, and “rota” means to pee. I am having trouble with saying I pee whiskey! Or I’m going to pee science! Or I teach candy! And so on.
p.s. Diana I love your stories. I almost peed my pants in the middle of the internet café. Whoah, the computer automatically put an accent on the e in café. Nice.

3 comments:

Nora said...

I wish I could make more time to send you the telenovela I consider my life, or those indulgent delicacies which can only be found in New York (not that I can think of any - perhaps some kosher pickles?), and some sugar from my former sugar daddy...but he's become a former, and my life is in such chaos right now I have to look for an avenue for absolute and immediate change. Possibly involving a move to Portugal for 6+ months, and/or going to SD for the winter. We'll see. I'll make time and think of something to send you.

Anonymous said...

Keep your eyes peeled for the post man...Kayley sends her love as well. Love you always.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Rebecca, the Ambassador has three grown kids and has heard his share of "potty" talk over the years. Glad you had fun.