Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Rebecca Reilly: Stoic in Paisley

It's been requested that I write a 'farewell' post, summing up my experience here, saying goodbye, etc.

I can't do it.

These past two years aren't some seperate segment of my life that i can just 'sum up'. It's my life, and this is my home, and i do love it here. There's too much to think about, and i'm all spazzed out right now anyway with all these peace corps exit procedures and tests and saying goodbye to all my family and friends and neighbors and home and school etc etc etc. People keep requesting adages and bon mots and specific emotions from me. I have wrapped my feelings and thoughts about this up in a ball and hid it waay down in my psyche somewhere, and maybe i'll let them out nervous breakdown style when i'm safely back in the spare room at mom and dad's house in California.

I am very happy to leave, there is nothing more I can do here in Lesotho. I'm probably aiding them by departing because overzealous international aid is one of this country's biggest problems. That said, I've loved, learned, grown, done all sorts of cheesy things, in more ways than I can say, or know. I'm beyond happy that i was able to have this experience, and i will leave you with some pictures of my 'hood.

With my principal in my NEW TRACK SUIT!! it's the most amazing thing ever. Everything's funnier when wearing a tracksuit.
At the farewell my school did for me, some students did the gumboot dance, i think they call it 'stomp'ing or something like that in America, they stomp and beat the sides of their gumboots in cool dancy rhythms, started by the diamond mine workers in south africa. Anyway, they're wearing the mining outfit, and the one in front is the 'foreman', wearing a terrifying hand-knitted boss-man mask. The dance was SO COOL

Walking to school with some form D students


With friends

My host brother gifting me with a traditional basotho blanket to take home, it's so warm and pretty. As you can see, i'm super excited about this. also, please note: the dress i'm wearing I sewed myself with fabric from mozambique!

boo-tee-full
races


that scooped-out looking mountain behind the burned ruin is the one we call 'brokeback'
the view from my stoop

No comments: