Thursday, June 18, 2009

I'm Not Going To Cook It But I'll Order It From ZANZIBAR!

So, not only is Zanzibar a restaurant from a Tenacious D song, it is also an island of near-mythical beauty and wonder off the coast of Tanzania! I will be flying there (after much grief with my credit/debit cards. curse you and your fickleness, wells fargo!) on saturday, and 2 friends and I will spend some time relaxing on snow-white beaches, basking in turquoise waters, and wandering amidst the 17th century muslim sultanate "stone town"!

After that we will be making our way south along the coast of mozambique, frolicking through the jungle, playing catch with my new pet hippo, traversing rivers in dugout canoes, buying 1,000 kangas (awesome fabric swaths), consuming half the marine life from the coastal waters, dancing where appropriate, etc. etc.
I am SO EXCITED.

also, for you enjoyment, some photos from my life, recently:


The dog, is, after much speculation, PREGNANT! look, i'm poking a puppy fetus!


I did kind of want to sleep, but instead had to spend the day curing the hiv, one dirty dish at a time (there was a free testing day, and we helped with the catering) (that's my mom standing next to me!)


Lastly, a rare glimpse of the elusive headless-skinless tree sheep, captured right outside my hut!


2 comments:

Alan said...

The tree sheep is disturbing... I saw a bull get slaughtered once, that was also disturbing.

By the way, Tanzania is a nice place. I've never been to Zanzibar but I went to Dar Es Salaam! Practice your Swahili!

Habari yako? (how are you)
Salama sana (very peaceful/calm)
Mzuri sana (very good)
Asante sana (thanks very much)
Karibu sana (very welcome)

hahaahahahh Swahili in Kenya is dirty (Tanzanians speak the "pure" one) but whatever!

Enjoy :)

Caitlin said...

Oh good lord those naked dead tree sheep are scary! They will give me nightmares that can only be combatted with a nice cuddly Boxes dream.