Friday, July 4, 2008

Not so Fowl Times

26June:

Potential B-day Happiness
letters/pictures
aforementioned desirable package items
seasons 1-3 of coupling
Season 3 greys anat.
How I met your mother (any, all)
good books and music
airline whiskey bottles
cajun spice and sweet hungarian paprika from limbo in ptown
hugs
kisses
etc.


Last night i had my 1st taste of "white flag" joala. There are 2 main schools of moonshine in Lesotho: yellow flag and white flag. When you brew, you hoist plastic bags of the appropriate color on a pole outside so people can come partake. Yellow flag is sweet, winey mooonshine that has been described to me as tasting of "fermented bleu cheese dressing". White flag is sorghum based, is really thick and chunky, and tastes kind of like sour cream of wheat. Victoria's family came out to visit so her lesotho family threw a feast. it was really nice, and we all drank joala and danced and had fun. Vic's mom thought this one little girl, lintle (2-3 yrs old) was super cute barging around the room knocking into peoples' legs, but i don't think she realized the little one was drunk on too much moonshine. There's no concept here of "too young to drink".

eee, some ducks are approaching dangerously near me as i write. Luckily i'm ok with ducks, so i will not flinch. There are roosters here too, and along with being majorly obnoxious and crowing at 4 am, they freak me out. I have to arc my walking patterns significantly to avoid them.

Now I'm sitting around outside my neighbor's house watching a little barefoot boy attempt to play the banjo whilst reclining in a wheelbarrow. It's super cute, and i really wish i had a camera. I'm doing an awful job chronicling my stay here in pictures. We're drinking more joala from last night, and the little one is drunk again. Eventually today i'm going with them to visit 'me julia's "grandmother". THe reason that's in quotes is because i'm skeptical she has an alive grandmother because she's way old and a grandmother herself. It's fun to try to communicate with crotchedy old ladies sometimes. It's better if they're drunk becaue then they speak slower and i can understand them easier.

I'm mildly regretting the hectic winter break i have. It'd be nice to have more time to sit around. A la today. stupid me and my commitment making.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blogs...keep them coming. You'd be surprised how many people are reading them that you don't even know! My friends pass them off to their friends! I don't even know!!
love you

Slayde said...

Yea, more pictures! I mean your stories draw some pretty colorful pictures all by themselves, but photos are wonderful too. Hope you're well! Loves!

Unknown said...

so this has nothing to do with your most recent blog post, but here in bogota people wander around the streets selling roses and they yell up to windows in residential neighborhoods that they have roses for sale. it made me think of you because of how much you hate all the dance scenes in the musical Oliver!, and because the rose sellers is how one of the dance episodes where the whole town joins in starts, I keep expecting that to happen when I see them here. I love you miss you